The space industry in relation to the Earth Observation sector currently represents a market worth about 4 billion euros worldwide, of which the European market accounts for about 1.2 billion.
Earth Observation is a rapidly growing sector that offers numerous opportunities for innovation, boosted by a large range of applications able to create value in various areas including management of natural resources, the environment and forestry, risk management, precision agriculture, insurance etc.
IGN FI has been a player in this sector since its establishment in 1986.
IGN FI has been a key player in the creation and implementation of the European Corine Land Cover programme and its expansion beyond Europe (Africa and South America).
IGN FI is currently working for European organisations (the European Environment Agency, Joint Research Centre etc) on data production and qualification in the framework of the Copernicus European space programme.
IGN FI has also delivered cartographic projects relating to Land Use/Land Cover in a number of countries in Central and West Africa.
IGN FI is looking to enhance its positioning specifically in terms of European calls for tender, to develop a number of themes (risks, agriculture and insurance), and to structure its approach by developing synergies between the technologies, production lines, know-how and specialist areas of expertise within the GEOFIT Group in order to make the Earth Observation area a major growth driver for both IGN FI and the Group.
About the position
The Earth Observation Development Officer will report to the Technical Directorate of IGN FI. His/her responsibilities will include the following activities:
- Strengthening and structuring the development of a range of international services relating to the monitoring of land, coastal environment, and human activities, based on space technologies.
- Running European and international projects related to Earth Observation as applied to sectors such as the environment and monitoring of forests and agriculture.
- Bringing his/her EO technical expertise into play for IGN FI projects.
- Responding to European calls for tender, writing technical proposals and co-ordinating technical responses with partners.
- Developing partnerships and responding to calls for collaborative projects (Copernicus, H2020, FP7, ANR, Quick Start, FUI…).
- Acting as the technical and organisational interface relating to Earth Observation between IGN FI’s commercial department, and providing support in co-ordinating initiatives, projects and R&D activities from the various Group entities for IGN FI (GEOFIT Montpellier, GEOFIT development department/GEOFIT Expert).
- Participating (including publications, presentations, etc.) in strategic seminars for members of the EO community in Europe and worldwide.
- Alongside the Group development department on behalf of IGN FI, keeping a scientific watch on the applications and impacts of the Copernicus programme in particular, in relation to various areas (e.g. agriculture, environment, urban planning, insurance, the blue economy, co-operation and development) and working on IGN FI’s and the Group’s positioning on emerging issues.
- Ensuring that knowledge is shared and that the issues are properly understood by the other experts in the technical department and by the commercial department.
- Participating in communications activities (news on projects, trade fairs, content for mailings etc).
Qualifications and experience
As a minimum, qualified engineer or Master 2 equivalent in the field of Earth Observation applied to the environment or forest or agriculture monitoring. A doctorate would be an advantage.
Minimum level of experience required:
5 to 10 years.
- Proficiency in satellite image processing technologies (Very High Resolution, Sentinel, SPOT, Landsat…).
- Good knowledge of Artifical Intelligence as used in EO.
- Knowledge of the European products of the Land component of the Copernicus space programme.
- Knowledge of the European institutions and public and private players involved in the EO sector.
- At least 7 years experience related to data production and validation in Earth Observation application projects (land cover, radar products etc).
- English (complete fluency for professional purposes). The project manager will be required to write technical proposals in English. Spanish would be an advantage.
Location for the position:
- Paris, with regular travel in Europe and throughout the world depending on business or partnership needs and opportunities.
- In line with IGN FI’s remuneration scale.
About IGN FI
As such, IGN FI provides expertise relating to land and geographical engineering internationally, covering a variety of fields including land registry, environment, rural development, natural risks, land and resource governance and defence.
As part of the GEOFIT Group (which has 1,000 employees and a turnover of 85 million euros in 2020), IGN FI numbers 35 permanent employees and a large number of staff working on its projects around the world.
Provide a CV, motivation letter and references to firstname.lastname@example.org